Sunday, April 29, 2012

Me, myself and I

Everything I write, even when it's not about me, is about me. The words that I choose, the perspective from which I speak, the flow of the language. All of it is uniquely me. Maybe one day there might be one person who could begin to read something and immediately think, "Yes, I know this. I recognize their writing," and they would be talking about me. And they would be impressed, and excited, because they would know, based on my body of work, that the things they were in the process of reading would be nothing but exceptional, because they had become accustomed to my style and decided that they like the things that I produce, no matter how strongly tinged with "me" they are. That maybe, they would appreciate the "me" injected into each piece.

"Every writer is a narcissist. This does not meant that he is vain; it only means that he is hopelessly self-absorbed."
- Leo Rosten

No comments:

Post a Comment